Twin births are always special. For the midwives, this means providing close-knit antenatal care in order to recognize any complications early enough and to support the women through a safe birth. It came as a shock to 35-year-old Dudsila when the midwife at our birth center in Seri informed her that she was expecting twins. “I panicked! I have already had 5 children in the cowshed. I couldn’t imagine how I would survive a twin birth. But the midwives gave me the best possible support – from the regular check-up appointments to the birth, I was safe and secure. I am infinitely grateful that I didn’t have to go through this alone. “
1 TARA & SITARA (“STAR AND MORNING STAR”)
* JUNE 30, 2017 IN THE BIRTH HOUSE GAMTHA | The parents live from agriculture, they have 3 other daughters and 2 sons. Chaiti Rawal doesn’t want any more children.
2 BIPANA & BISWAS (“REALITY AND TRUST”)
* OCTOBER 8, 2017 IN THE BIRTHHOUSE SERI | In October 2019, little Biswas fell seriously ill and died shortly after his 2nd birthday. The parents are farming. Before the twins, Lal Jira had two children, a boy and a girl, in the cowshed.
3 JIWAN & JITENDRA (“LIFE AND KING OF VICTORY”)
* JANUARY 13, 2018 IN THE BIRTH HOUSE SERI | The two healthy boys weighed 2,100 and 2,300 grams. The family is now raising a total of seven children. The poor Dalits live from agriculture. Dudsila and her husband received advice on contraception.
4 SHISHIR & SANGIT (“WINTER AND MUSIC”)
* AUGUST 23, 2018 IN THE BIRTHHOUSE SERI | The two healthy boys weighed around 2,000 grams when they were born and were developing splendidly. The parents are mountain farmers and have their hands full with the bright toddlers.
5 BIKRAM & BISHAL (“BRAVE AND LORD OF GODS”)
* MARCH 12, 2020 IN THE HOSPITAL OF GAMGADHI | A week before the birth, our midwife Nirmala discovered complications and sent the expectant mother to the only hospital in the mountain region, a 14-hour walk away. A caesarean section could be performed there in an emergency. That was the right decision, because the birth was complicated. Sharmila and the babies (one weighed 2,500 grams, the other 1,600 grams) stayed in the hospital for two days, after which the birth center in Gamtha took care of the aftercare. 27
6 AAKASH & AASHISH (“HEAVEN AND BLESSINGS”)
* ON OCTOBER 22, 2020 IN THE KALAI BIRTH HOUSE | The two boys weighed 1800 and 2000 gr. Dhan Devi Jaisi is already the mother of 2 girls.